3.3. System Requirements¶
The scalability of SIMP correlates to the scalability of Puppet. From the Puppet tuning guide, a number of factors contribute to scalability, including:
- Speed and quantity of available hardware
- Number of nodes, and frequency of check-in
- Number of modules in your module path
- Amount of hieradata
Official hardware requirements for your SIMP server:
- At least 3.4 GB of RAM + swap.
With less than 3.4 GB it is possible for either the puppet database or puppet server to not start.
We recommend the following hardware requirements for your SIMP server:
- 2 CPUs and 6 GB of RAM, at a minimum
- 2 - 4 CPUs and 10 GB of RAM to serve up to 1,000 nodes
The SIMP team recommends allocating the latter, in addition to a minimum of 50 GB HDD space. Again, these are not hard requirements, but anything less may not leave adequate room for logs, applications, rsync data, etc.